It is unusual to get two new experiments in one meal that turn out perfect and this meal was very good. First we did the tried and true roasted asparagus but this time with toasted sesame oil, nice flavor. Sometimes we grill it and sometimes I bake it, timing is according to thickness. The salmon marinated for a couple of hours in a citrus marinade: 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice, 1/4 cup of fresh squeezed lime juice, 1/2 cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice, 1/4 cup of olive or sesame oil, 2 T. minced shallots, 2 cloves of garlic, crushed, 1 t. sea salt and 1/2 cup of red chili flakes. We grilled the salmon but you can also bake it for 10 minutes per inch of thickness at 400 degrees.
The buckwheat/potato/spinach pilaf was an unexpected treat and it also made great leftovers. I cooked the buckwheat first, about 15 minutes - 1 cup of buckwheat, 1 1/2 cup of water and a dash of sea salt. At first I was worried because the cooked buckwheat seemed sort of mushy but then as it cooled the texture became better. While the buckwheat cooked I placed 4 diced red potatoes in a steamer about 6-7 minutes. Then I heated up a saute pan with sesame oil over medium heat and added 1/3 cup of pine nuts and saute until golden. Next I added steamed potatoes, 1/2 t. of sea salt, 1/2 t. fresh ground black pepper, 1 t. dried oregano, 3 cloves of crushed garlic, a bunch of green onions but 1" pieces, and sauted it for 1-2 minutes. Then I added 4-6 cups of chopped spinach and sauted all until the spinach wilted. Finally I put the mixture in a large bowl and add the buckwheat. I just put enough for a good balance with the other ingredients so I added it slowly until the ratio seemed right.
Today is Save the Frogs day and right on cue the local toads have invaded our pond for a Spring fling. It is a loud sound but welcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment