Sunday, May 2, 2010

Experimenting With Smoothies

My breakfast every morning is usually a smoothie. I have found they go down easy and give me more energy than other fare. What I am finding is that I am very picky about texture so there are a few ingredients that bother me like nuts, pears, apples, avocados (yes there is a delicious smoothie recipe with avocado, although I find it too thick). I have fashioned my own smoothie based on Kristen Suzanne's Cherry Chocolate Bomb Shake. However, mine is a bit different. I start with a base of unsweetened chocolate almond milk and a dash of stevia, one banana, splash of vanilla extract, 1 cup of defrosted frozen cherries, 1/4 t. powdered probiotic, 1/2 t. of slippery elm powder, 2 scoops of MediClear or InflamX protein powder and one T. of raw cacao.

The slippery elm powder keeps my stomach happy but be aware it can make you sleepy. It is a great thing to take at night if you have an icky stomach, along with calcium-magnesium. Both will give a good night's sleep. I was really into ginger for calming my stomach previously but it no longer works well for me and I developed an allergy to it.

Here is the avocado-based smoothie I mentioned. It really has a refreshing taste. Kris Carr posted it on her Crazy Sexy Life site as a recipe of the week (Kris' Go-to Green Smoothie). Blend one avocado, fresh mint, one cucumber, a bit of Kale, coconut water and stevia to taste. It turned out way too thick for me and I had to add water which made way too much but I will definitely try it again sometime. It is a fantastic cooler for a hot summer day.

This weekend I attempted to redo my kitchen cupboards and found that it took me quite a long time just to redo my spices (I have a ton of them). So, to be continued. However, when Richard finished the new bathroom/utility room I will have a pantry closet for staples. That will be fantastic!




No comments: