I have not made a pie in years, but I will have to say, this no-bake pie is easy to make. It has a ton of ingredients and many layers but all pretty easy. First the crust. In a food processor, put 1 cup of raw pecans, 1 cup of raw almonds, 1/2 t. of cinnamon and 1/4 t. of cardamon. Grind fine. Then add my favorite, 1 cup of medjool date and process. Place mixture in a 9" pie or tart plate and press evenly onto the bottom and sides. Chill this while you prepare the next step.
For filling base: Place 6 T. of Japanese kuzu powder (I was a little short on this an it still worked, mixed in some arrowroot powder) in 3 T. of water (or more if it thickens up too much). Let it stand a few minutes until dissolved. Put in a blender: 1 1/2 cups of organic berry juice, 2 cups of blueberries - fresh or frozen, and 2 T. of maple syrup. Blend until smooth. Add berry mixture to pan of kuzu and heat to medium stirring continuously until thick (5-10 minutes). Pour into chilled pie crust. Put pie back in fridge to set, 1 - 2 hours.
When pie is set, clean out blender put in 1 cup of cashews, 1/4 cup of maple syrup, 2-3 cups of water and 2 t. of vanilla. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
Slice and cut up a variety of fruit for the topping. I used 1 mango, 1 plum, blueberries and strawberries. Other suggestions: kiwi fruit, peaches, cherries, raspberries.
Then spread cashew mixture evenly on top in a thin layer, then artfully (or crazily) arrange the fruit. Sprinkle all over with shredded coconut. This will keep up to 3 days in the fridge. It is really good and pretty foolproof!!!
This has been a busy week - so much going on. Monday night I had a meeting with the Talbot County Public Schools Advisory Board which I am on. This included a fabulous meal prepared by the culinary students. I was so impressed with the talents of these students and also the work of the graphic/multi-media students. Then on Tuesday I had a grueling 2-hour MRI of my spine, really wore me out plus we went to a dinner meeting in Annapolis. Woof. Enough! Even with all the activity I managed to swim twice this week and am feeling much better today.
No comments:
Post a Comment