Sunday, May 3, 2009

Days of Rain and Asparagus

It all started the day our friend Barry Davies brought by a bunch of asparagus to the studio. He was selling it for $6 a lb. so I bought half but when I weighed it at home it was 6 lbs. We ate it for three days and it was amazing. Barry advised me to put it in a jar of water in the fridge, just like a vase of flowers. It was great. The asparagus was sweet and you could eat it raw like candy canes. I did steam, roast and stir fry it as well. There was so much of it. I just picked up another 2 lbs. at the Farmer's Market yesterday...not sick of it yet!

Speaking of the jar of water trick, you can use it for anything with stems, like parsley.

It has been raining for a few days here and everything is incredibly green. Rain never bothers me I guess that it why I am so much like a frog. I find it relaxing and beautiful in many ways. Anyway, it looks like we will have a few more days of it here on the eastern seaboard. I am hoping it will perk up my shitake logs. It is certainly making everything else here grow like crazy.

2 comments:

B said...

I so LUV asparagus =) My family hates it when I steam it, but I can't get enough of the yummy stuff. Share some recipes,,,,please??
See ya over at the Fit Club girl!

ChuckieFrog said...

My favorite (beside raw dipped in humuus) is lightly stir fryed in low sodium tamari and sesame oil. Include ginger, garlic, onilons, bok choy, shitakes, red peppers and I often vary the veggies. It is really yummy served on Soba Mugwort noodles.