Monday, February 15, 2010

Fixing Our Food, a Trappe Story

Last week we finished designing a web site for a fellow who owns a wonderful farm on Trappe Creek, not too far from our house. Don Kerstetter took a special interest in Trappe Creek and had a landscape architect who specialized in environmental issues design his farm to prevent run off of farm nutrients, the main pollutant in the Chesapeake Bay. In researching the problem, Don found that the way America feeds its population is the root of the problem. This food is also ruining our health. His web site "Trappe Landing Farm and Native Sanctuary" chronicles his research - it is quite interesting and part of a growing movement.

Good news with the weather - it is raining so hopefully it will melt our mountains of snow. Our road is like a canyon right now with huge walls of snow on either side. I did get the Prius out of the driveway today. It was stuck for over a week.

Last week my doctor told me I tested positive for Sjogren's syndrome. Yuck, it is dry mouth. I am lucky that I do not have the dry eyes that some people experience. Anyway, there are products that keep it at bay but brushing my teeth a lot and being careful what I eat should help too. What next? Still, I am happy that my blood pressure is good, my cholesterol is down and cancer markers are down. The good, the bad and the unknown. Life goes on.

No comments: