Now don't get me wrong, I love zucchinis, but lately I am seeing them everywhere. When Richard and I planted our 6 zucchini plants I promised myself I would pick them small and often. Now really, I do that religiously. So why oh why do I have several that are a foot long peeking at me out of my refrigerator? I have decided that zucchini plants are sneaky and they hide their offspring from me until they are large and robust. So...here I am searching on the internet for zucchini recipes. One good thing they are juice-able so maybe some good veggie juice is in order. I have already made ratatouille but baking and hot recipes do not work well for me in the middle of all this Maryland humidity. I have given them away to friends and neighbors but still they march on - I feel like the sorcerer's apprentice in my kitchen. On they march.On the medical side I have been having lots of decisions. I am now scheduled for surgery at Johns Hopkins at the end of August to remove old girl parts I no longer need and that pose a risk. Since they found I have the BRCA2 gene at least things are somewhat predictable. All this is in the prevention realm. But ouch! I am sure I will survive and I am getting in good shape for the ordeal with swimming, pilates and qi gong. I still feel great and have lots of energy and that is a blessing.
Also I taking part in the BOSS study at Johns Hopkins which stands for the Breast and Ovarian Surveillance Service. This not only benefits me for prevention but also helps others as more real experiences add to knowledge about the genes. My doctor, Deborah Armstrong, is the director of the service.
4 comments:
Don't look now, but Aug. 8 is "Sneak Zucchini Onto Your Neighbor's Porch Night," per Chase's Calendar of Events--learned about this fun and exciting "holiday" when I worked for a grocery chain years ago, I guess an overabundance of zucchini is the plague of every green thumb out there.
If you're a kale fan, I recently discovered an excellent kale-bean soup recipe--guess I'll share that when weather gets cooler. So tasty even the kids love it.
Got any good ways to use beet greens?
Actually my neighbors might like the giant green baseball bats. I should try it!
Would love to get your soup recipe and will save it for winter for sure.
Beet greens - I have juiced them but ugh, taste like dirt. Right now I am composting them.
Hmmm... my toddler sometimes eats dirt, those greens may yet be salvageable. ;o)
Here's the soup, it really is great, not at all dirt-like, and best of all EASY.
Kale-Bean Soup
Ingredients:
1. Tablespoon olive oil
2. 4-6 cloves garlic, crushed
3. 1 medium onion, chopped
4. Bunch of kale--I usually get dinosaur (black) variety, any kind would work. Wash and chop.
5. 4 cups vegetable stock (I just get the organic veggie stock from supermarket)
6. 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
7. 2 cans white beans (navy, cannellini), drained
8. 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
9. Tablespoon or so of dried parsley (or throw chopped fresh in at end of cooking)
10. Salt and pepper--I usually put 1 teaspoon salt and a couple grinds pepper
Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. When these are translucent, add kale and saute until wilted. Add stock, beans, tomatoes, seasonings. Cook 25-35 minutes depending on type of kale and the consistency desired. So good--no kidding. Also reheats well.
You're welcome!
Saw a beet greens recipe the other day that involved sauteeing with onion and garlic. I'll let you know if it still tastes like dirt.
Post a Comment