Sunday, July 26, 2009

Volunteering at the Farmer's Market

I dreaded the day. Each day the forecasts showed a higher and higher temperature for Saturday. Yes, Saturday (yesterday) was the day I volunteered to help my CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) farm distribute shares. I thought I could not handle the humidity but I did. There was a lovely breeze and I hoisted boxes of tomatoes and sorted melons in buckets. Mostly I sat and watched people.

The couple shown in the picture are typical of our CSA members. A nice young family with a child, well educated (I think these people were scientists). They were so nice with their child, very patient as she picked out tomatoes for weighing. I was amazed how many of the members were in the medical field. Maybe they know something about about the food supply in this country. Anyway, it was nice to see them gathering their organic veggies. This week the share was 1 qt. of cherry tomatoes, 3 lbs. of large tomatoes, 3 cucumbers, 1 cantaloupe, a choice of beets or small eggplants, 2 Anaheim peppers, and 1 lb. of summer squash. Finally there has been sun so the veggies are really starting to do well. I am sure the farmers are relieved.

While all this was going on there was also the Plein Aire Festival going on in Easton and it was really a hit. Impressionist artists from all over the country come to Easton to paint for a week. On Saturday morning there was the "Quickdraw" Competition so there were painters all around the Farmers' Market painting like crazy for 2 hours. The paintings I saw were really amazing. Such talent!

All in all it was a very fun morning. Quite different than my usual lazy morning at home and I really had fun, soaked up a lot of vitamin D and took lots of photos. Here are the rest of the photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/chuckiefrog/FarmersMarket#slideshow/5362892766318725954

No comments: