Saturday, March 3, 2012

Blood Letting

Blood letting... I do it often, not that I want to but it seems that every doctor I meet is ravenous for vials and vials of my blood. Of course that involves getting needles poked in ones veins which is never fun, particularly if they miss! I have often been poked 2 or 3 times before they are successful.

Now I have to have my blood checked often, at least once a month and sometimes more. My insurance company is very particular where I go so they can save money so most of the time I cannot get it taken at Johns Hopkins unless I am on a research study. So I go to a designated commercial lab that seems to have an office in most towns. Here on the Eastern Shore of Maryland I have 2 close by, one in Easton and one in Cambridge. At first I went to the Easton lab but found there was one terrible phlebotomist who could never find a vein, very nice sweet blond lady but not in the right profession, in my opinion. I mean, you need to know how to locate veins for gosh sakes.

Well, I do have small veins and they hide, yes they hide when they see a needle coming. I try to psych them out but they are tired of being poked.

After much trial and error I found the the Cambridge lab had 2 very competent older ladies who were just wonderful, in fact, better on average at "hitting the target" compared to any other group around. I was happy, no more fear. Except yesterday I found myself in what seemed like a bad blood dream. I drove over the lovely Choptank River Bridge as usual and took the second right, turned into an empty parking lot and there was a big sign on the door "MOVED". I checked my GPS and it was only one block away, so not so bad. I drove around the block and there it was in what looked like a 2-story renovated old house. Upon entering I see a sign that said "Blood Lab, 2nd floor, use elevator". Hmmm. So I looked at the elevator and there is only a down button, hmmm, I want to go up! And there is a sign that says, "Ask receptionist to use the elevator." Somehow, I didn't like this elevator and then I spotted the stairs. At least I knew they went up! At the top of the narrow staircase there was a door with no damn knob, just a hole. To make things worse you had to hold on the handrail to open the door because there was no landing and the door opened out. What? I managed to stick my fingers in the door hole and hanging on to the rail I tottered over the entry way. Mind you, my bones are creaking and complaining the whole time. Well, there is a decent waiting room but quite full of people, ugh. And where are my wonderful ladies? New people, a sullen receptionist greeted me and I signed in and sat next to an older gentleman, well older than me. Then I looked up at the desk and who showed up but my nemeses, the "sweet" blond who cannot find veins. An expletive shot my lips involuntarily (sorry nice old gentleman) and I hopped out of that waiting room very fast. On the way out I noticed that the second floor elevator only had an UP button so I took the stairs, found my car and sped toward the Easton lab. At least I knew my blond friend was not at the Easton lab!

In Easton I found the waiting room empty! What a blessing and to top it off one of my favorite ladies, now transferred from Cambridge, greeted me. She did a bit of complaining about my stack of blood slips from 3 doctors but nevertheless sorted them out and labeled 5 good-sized vials. it took 2 sticks but my blood came out nicely and did not dry up half way. "Thank the Lord" she said. Ditto!

3 comments:

RCG55 said...

Had a good chuckle reading about your misfortunes! Boy, it sure did seem like a blood nightmare, creeky stairs and all!

Joyce said...

Okay, next time you enter a lab and the door has no damn knob, I would definitely take that as a sign! Time to hop away pronto!

Would definitely advise against ever getting a blood draw on Saturday. Tried that once myself, Nurse Ratchett hit SOMETHING in my feeble limb and my arm sprouted a gigantic bruise and hurt like hell for the rest of the day. The Saturday crew is definitely NOT the "A" team.

Fingers crossed for all good results from your lab adventure.

Lee said...

It's so good so see you blogging again. I really enjoyed that little tale of horrow and am so pleased to see you haven't lost your sense of humour or quick thinking! You certainly need it sometimes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you. love Leexx