I finally met the amazing Dr. Emens at Johns Hopkins. I heard about her vaccine study last year when my nurse practioner, Nelli, told me about it. At the time I has facing surgery and a study was just one thing more. Then last month my oncologist, Dr. Armstrong suggested I might want to try it since the Faslodex I was taking was not working all that well. So I finally took some time to read about it and was amazed. Dr. Emens formulated this vaccine and it teaches the immune system to fight cancer cells instead of being their "friends." Wow. I was turned off at first by the low-dose chemo that went along with the vaccine but after I found out it was very low with no hair-losing, stomach churning side effects, I was much more enthusiastic. Last week Richard and I had a meeting with her and we were impressed to say the least. Her theory sounds very promising and she thought I could definitely partake. I have only one last obstacle now, my insurance company. Let's hope they go for it. Johns Hopkins is really good with insurance companies though and there are funds so I am feeling optimistic. Oh yes, and Dr. Emens climbed Mt. Kilamanjaro to raise funds for the study, how cool is that? She is not only smart but very fit as well. I am attaching a video that gives an overview. Vaccines are the future.
1 comment:
Thanks for this update, that's very exciting that you will likely participate in the vaccine study. Sounds very promising!
I've got everything crossed that the insurance company cooperates and you get the go-ahead ASAP!
Joyce
Post a Comment