Sunday, September 19, 2010

Autumn is Here Early

A sure sign of Fall here is the Wooley Bear caterpillers. They scurry back and forth across the road looking for food and a place to make a cocoon. They are such cute fellows. I am always trying to avoid them with my car.

I have been feeling really good lately and have good energy. Well, it was really good until I got my monthly Zometa/bone strengthener and that pooped me out. But I am working all day now and going shopping by myself so that means I am feeling extra good. I also dropped a bit of weight but I still feel like I look puffy. I guess it is because of the Tamoxifen. It is a good and easy drug for me in general but does have that fatty-poo side effect.

I went to my second pilates session since the surgery and am making some progress but I was given abs "homework." I need to work on that. I am planning to start swimming next week, maybe Tuesday and Thursday to start. I am eager to start moving again.

On the cooking front, I have been experimenting with a quinoa-based tabouleh. I always made it with bulgar before but am finding I prefer the quinoa which makes it much lighter:

Tabouleh

1 cup of uncooked quinoa (you can also use cous cous if you don't mind gluten)
1/4 cup of green onions or onion
2 tomatoes (or a bunch of cherry tomatoes)
1/2 cup of chopped fresh mint (or cilantro or parsley if you prefer)
1 cup of chopped cucumber (sweet bell peppers, carrots or summer squash also works)
1 cup of cooked chick peas (I have also used beluga lentils or black beans)
2 T of lemon juice
2 T of sesame oil (or olive oil)
salt and ground pepper to taste

Boil the quinoa in 2 cups of water for about 10 minutes and then let it sit covers for another 5-10 minutes until all the water is absorbed.

Add onion through chickpeas.

Mix the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper. Pour over salad and toss gently.

No comments: