Sunday, December 5, 2010

Save the frogs, fish chowder and other news

I saw this image the other day and had to laugh, it was just so cute. It is from "Save the Frogs Day" in Korea. Of course, I like the thought too.

I am sort of in medical limbo right now in that I am changing my meds. The Tamoxifen I was taking was no longer working and my bones are starting to hurt again. They determined that was not terrible according to my bone scan but bad enough to make the change. So now I am going on Faslodex which is a shot in the butt once a month. It is another hormone suppresser of sorts and should do the trick, I hope for a long time. There are no huge side effects according to my doctors. I like that.

On the cooking front I have found a way to make delicious fish chowder without any dairy. This is my recipe adopted from a few I researched on the web that were made with dairy. I just subbed coconut milk for milk and virgin organic coconut oil for butter. Coconut milk gets a bad rap because it is very high in saturated fat but it has zero cholesterol, sodium and it a good source of manganese. Coconut oil is also a healthy oil but should be used over a low heat or flame. So here is my fish chowder:

Delightful Coconut Fish Chowder
1 lb. of tasty wild caught fish - I used salmon
1/2 onion, chopped 
2 medium carrots, small dice
1 rib celery, small dice
1 or 2 T of virgin organic coconut oil
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 bay leaf
1/4 t black pepper
1 t salt
1/4 t dried thyme
1 cup of white wine or water (or combo)
1 can of organic coconut milk
1 T of chopped parsley

Melt coconut oil in a large soup pot, add onions, chopped carrots, chopped celery and saute until tender. Add fish, potatoes, bay leaf, salt, pepper, thyme and wine/water. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. I place the fish on top and it cooks and steams even if it is not entirely submersed in the liquid. After it is cooked through and is flakey, break up fish in bite-sized pieces. Add coconut milk and heat through. Discard bay leaf and sprinkle with parsley to garnish.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

That looks fantastic! Mind you, I would eat shoe leather if it was poached long enough in coconut milk. Thai food makes me swoon. Have you tried the new coconut milk that comes in cartons? It doesn't taste like coconut and is treated like a milk substitute. I can't drink almond milk (allergic) so I've been trying that on cereal. It kind of tastes like nothing - weird. But it's cold and white!

ChuckieFrog said...

Yes I tried the milk in cartons - can't say I liked it much. I tend to use rice milk the most.